4.06.2015

week 35 . an [EGG]sellent conference weekend

Links in red (click for info)

[mom note: Megan's sister Emily reached out on social media asking people to join us in wishing Megan a happy 21st birthday. Her birthday is not 'til May 27th but mail to Brazil is slow so if you'd like to send her a birthday card now would be the time to do it. Missionaries LOVE mail so regardless of what category you fall into...family, personal friend, friend of a friend, future missionary, blog stalker, future spouse, whatever...send a letter. She'll sing your praises!

Sister Megan Baker
Brazil Natal Mission
Av. Interventor Mario Camara, 2066
Dix-Sept Rosado
59054-600 Natal - RN 
BRAZIL

[Postage is $1.15 (or a global forever stamp) for a normal sized letter 1 ounce or less. Add .80 cents for each additional ounce]

Wow this week seems like it was sooo long but at the same time went by so fast. Time is getting weird, I think because this transfer is almost over. (Can't believe it!)

I'm going to go in order (sort of) of the days of the week so I don't just ramble and lose myself. . .

Monday
Last pday we went to a members house and played games and ate s'mores and Cadbury mini eggs and Oreos with milk that Elder Clark's mom had sent in a package. If you know how I feel about Cadbury mini eggs you can imagine my pure joy.

FHE [mom note: Family Home Evening] at the Bishop's house. We read the story of the resurrection in the Bible and 3 Nephi 11 and the spirit was so incredibly strong. I felt the Savior's presence there.

Tuesday
District meeting. This was probably the best district meeting that I have ever been to. Elders Clark and W. Silva talked to us (it was just sisters because the other two elders were in Natal.) Elder W. Silva shared part of a talk that Pres. Monson gave that talked about a young man who got his mission call right at the time that his little brother passed away. He posted a photo with his brother saying something along the lines of "we both received mission calls, just on different sides of the veil." And then the talk talked about the hope of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I was crying (along with every other sister in that room). Then Elder Clark talked about the Atonement. How God sent an angel to not only comfort Jesus Christ in his suffering, but to remind Him who He was. That there wasn't anyone else who could fulfill His purpose. And how here in Caicó it's the same situation. There aren't other servants of the Lord in our area other than Sister Ríos and I. This is on us. It won't be easy, but if we don't give it our all there is nobody else to make up lost ground. It was inspiring and spiritual (and of course tear-jerking).

Wednesday//Thursday//Friday
Wednesday was April Fool's day and we played a prank on the Elders. Lunch was at a members house behind our house. We told the Elders that we were going to be late to lunch and to go ahead without us. We live on the third floor with a balcony so when the Elders passed by below us to go to lunch we chucked a bunch of water balloons. Hahaha don't worry I recorded it and it's a riot and a half. But it's too big to send so you can watch it in ten months.

The balcony of Sister Baker's apartment. Picture is not from April Fool's but from a day a big storm came through the town
And then at night Sister Ríos and I decided to prank the sisters by putting juice powder in the shower faucet. But the next morning NOBODY wanted to take a shower after T25 [mom note: a workout they do]. Which was weird because we were all so gross. I actually wanted to take a shower, but preferably not with juice so I just waited it out. Finally Sister Hernandez went to take a shower and we heard "AI!" from the bathroom haha. But the juice didn't even touch her, she just saw the water coming out all red and it freaked her out. But it turns out that she was the only one who didn't know about the prank because the night before Sister Moraes thought about doing the same thing but when she went to put juice in the shower thing there was already powder in there hahaha. 

This week was full of miracles. There were so many people in our area who really wanted to find the truth. They were lost and confused and we are helping them to find answers for themselves. We are teaching a wonderful family, and the mom, Rosa, is so amazing. She has doubts still but I love this family so much and want nothing more than to help them obtain an answer from God about what is right. 

We also had a man stop us in the street and ask if we had a few minutes to teach him. What?? That doesn't normally happen, not even in Brasil. It was such an amazing experience to see that there are people who need and want our message! 

Everyday this week I studied in Jesus the Christ about Passion Week and what Christ did each day. It was some of the most fulfilling personal study that I have had on my mission. It made me really focus on the true meaning of Easter. This is the first time that I have realized how big of a deal Easter is. I am realizing that Christ was just like us in the fact that He was here without a perfect knowledge of the eternal plan. He knew what He knew about His role as Savior through scripture study and prayer. He did everything that He did because He trusted in the plan and will of the Father. Just like Him we have to search the scriptures and pray to know our personal plan, and then trust in the Father that it is for our good even when it seems difficult. I have never felt so much love, or so close to my Savior as I did this week. 

The #BecauseHeLives campaign added to my appreciation for Easter and the Resurrection of our Lord. This video is absolutely perfect and gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. 


I also had a chance to watch some of the BibleVideos that the church made about the life of Jesus Christ which helped me to understand even more the events of this holy week. (also: shout out to Sam for how many times I saw his face this week in church videos. It was so weird haha.) [mom note: Sam is Megan's cousin. He plays the apostle James in the Bible videos linked above. Sam is in the photo below on the far left]


Saturday//Sunday
Happy birthday Mom!!!! And GENERAL CONFERENCE.

General Conference weekend was perfect. I had some questions that I had written down and prayed about and conference answered every. single. one. The Lord hears our prayers and answers us, I have no doubt about it. 

Elder Holland's talk was absolutely amazing. This man knows who the Savior is. He has a relationship with Him. It is plain to see. I hope that I can continue developing my knowledge and understanding of the Savior here on my mission and at home so that I can testify of Him with as much spiritual power as Elder Holland. But it really seemed like the perfect talk to add on to my personal study about Jesus Christ this week. It was a huge testimony builder. 

I also loved Wilford Anderson's talk about the gospel as a dance. It was a little different than what we're used to hearing at Conference, but I felt the Spirit so powerfully and it answered lots of my questions. 

I love Conference because I think of all the Latter Day Saints united around the world in prayer and learning and music. All of the members of Christ's true church worshipping together. God was certainly present this weekend. 

We didn't see that people opposed the prophet from where we were watching, but a few people have mentioned it to me. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God. That he receives direct revelation from our Heavenly Father and our Savior to guide us in these Latter Days. I don't understand how anyone can doubt that as they listen to him speak. God would never let His church be led astray by a false prophet. He calls men whom He trusts. I trust and love Thomas S. Monson and all of the apostles and other general authorities. I am so grateful for a church that is led by a living prophet who tells us God's will for us. I know this church is true

[mom note: Our family was in attendance at the Conference Center when the sustaining of the church leaders took place. May I share with you something I shared with a friend..."We were there and for a brief moment we all felt our hearts hurt. But the "opposed" heard vocally from a few individuals, very few I might add, was nothing compared to the multitude of hands that went up (to sustain our church leaders). I think we all raised our hands a little higher yesterday in that Conference Center and although that action was silent the spirit and love that was felt was much louder than the voices of opposition. It was a wonderful experience." Let me add, it was a wonderful experience because it cemented my testimony. I add my testimony to Megan's, that I know that God does not leave us here to move blindly through life. He gives us a prophet and apostles to guide us and teach us just as He did in ancient times. I know we have a prophet on the earth today. I love and sustain President Thomas S. Monson as God's prophet.]

Last but not least. . .
#minhavida

+ every missionary watching Conference this weekend was like cracking up/crying because I swear every talk mentioned marriage. Missionary probz.

+ a drunk man was talking to my companion and I this week and told me that I was a "family girl." aka honest, trustworthy, religious, etc. I agreed. (adding humble to my list of qualities). But then he kept calling me California baby which was uncomfortable. And kissed my hand which was gross. And then tried to kiss my hand again a few minutes later and I was like, "Thanks, but you already did. So don't worry about it, I'm good." And then he was like okay fine and started to drop my hand, but then pulled a ninja move and kissed it super quick. Good times. 

I love the gospel. 
I love the prophet.
I love my mission. 
I love Jesus Christ. 
"He is not here for He is Risen."

Happy belated Easter everyone.
Love you.
Tchau
Sister Baker


No comments :

Post a Comment